Petra E. Schalk, L.Ac., OT (Occupational Therapist),
Graduated with a Master's degree from Emperor's College for Oriental Medicine in Santa Monica, CA, in 2007. Petra started out in a private practice in Los Angeles in 2007 and after moving to Denver in 2009 founded Avicenna Acupuncture. She specializes in neurological disorders and post- and perimenopausal discomforts.
Petra has been a health care professional for over a decade. She started her medical career as an occupational therapist (OT), graduating in Germany in 1997. Her main focus was pediatrics and neurological diseases such as post-stroke patients. In 2000, Petra moved to Los Angeles, CA, and acquired her US certification with the National Board of Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
She worked in multiple acute-care hospitals, skilled nursing homes, and rehabilitation facilities throughout the wider Los Angeles area. As an employee of UCLA from 2003 to 2009, she treated oncology and post-transplant patients as well as patients with post-trauma neurological disorders. Since 2009, she has continued her career at the University Hospital of Colorado in Denver (UCH). Petra works as a lymphedema therapist in the greater Denver area. She is specialized in garment fitting and has been recruited for advice in this capacity from therapists all over Colorado. Petra has had the privilege to work with Gunter Klose, CLT/LANA over the past year. Mr. Klose is one of the foremost lymphedema specialists in the US and owner of Klose Training LLC. She works at the University Hospital of Colorado in Denver, in- and outpatient as a lymphedema therapist.
- Colorado Board of Acupuncture (DORA) certified and licensed
- Board of Occupational Therapy in Colorado (DORA) licensed and registered
- NCCAOM certified (national board for Acupuncture)
- California Board of Acupuncture certified
- Clean Needle Technique certified
- California Board of Occupational Therapy licensed and registered
- Occupational Therapist Registered by NBCOT (OT national board)
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT)
- Certified Garment Fitter
- Certification as a Lymphedema Therapist at Klose Training, CO
- Emperor’s College of Traditional Oriental Medicine, Santa Monica, CA
- Technical Supervisor at Emperor’s College Clinic
- Clinical Internship at Emperor’s College Clinic
- College for Occupational Therapy Annastift Hannover, Germany