Petra E. Schalk
L.Ac., DOM, OTR/L, CLT, LANA
Occupational Therapist – Acupuncturist
Petra has been a healthcare professional for over a decade. She started her medical career as an Occupational Therapist (OT), graduating in Germany in 1997. Shortly after Petra moved to Los Angeles, California, she acquired her United States certification with the National Board of Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
As an employee at UCLA from 2003 to 2009, she mostly treated oncology patients as well as patients with post-trauma neurological disorders. During the same time, she graduated with a Master’s degree from Emperor’s College for Oriental Medicine in Santa Monica, CA, in 2007. After moving to Denver in 2009, Petra co-founded Avicenna Acupuncture.
Since 2009, she has continued her career at the University Hospital of Colorado in Denver (UCH).
Certifications and Licenses
- Colorado Board of Acupuncture (DORA)
- Board of Occupational Therapy in Colorado (DORA)
- NCCAOM (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine)
- Clean Needle Technique certified
- California Board of Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapist Registered by NBCOT
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT)
- Certified Garment Fitter
- Certification as a Lymphedema Therapist at Klose Training, CO
- Emperor’s College of Traditional Oriental Medicine, Santa Monica, CA
- Technical Supervisor at Emperor’s College Clinic
- Clinical Internship at Emperor’s College Clinic
- College for Occupational Therapy Annastift Hannover, Germany
Petra is a certified lymphedema specialist since 2009 who earned her LANA (Lymphology Association of North America) Certification in 2013. Petra is an expert in the treatment of Lipedema, Lipo-lymphedema, and primary and secondary Lymphedema.